College News and Events

Inspiring Women in Sport - Olympic Aquatics Centre

Michael Barrett
by Michael Barrett - Tuesday, 3 March 2015, 9:48 AM

The Careers Team were successful in securing 12 places at the' Inspiring Women in Sport' event at the Aquatic Centre in the Olympic Park, organised by the Inspiring the Future organisation.  Tutors were asked to nominate students to attend this prestigious event and we were able to take representatives from Sport, Business, Performing Arts and Science.

Sponsored by BT Sport, Merrill Lynch and Bank of America, and hosted by Clare Balding - the campaign is encouraging young women to take up careers in the Sports Industry and raise awareness of the numerous different job roles involved in this sector.   Over 300 13-19 year old young women attended the event along with 100 'Inspiring Women'.  Students had the opportunity to learn about their roles, experiences and of course, ask lots of questions. The event generated lots of media interest and has been featured on the BBC website.

Our students had the opportunity to chat to Amber Hill - British Olympic Skeet Shooter and England Hockey Captain Helen Richardson- Wolf - both athletes came to the event with their medals and our students had the chance to be able to hold these valuable items.

We were also lucky enough to be able to see Olympic Diving Champion Tom Daley in training - an added bonus to an already excellent event.

Students who attended were a credit to Redbridge College and were an excellent team of ambassadors for us.   We hope to take participate in more of these informative and exciting careers events - these experiences are of enormous value and impact to our learners - as the following feedback identifies:-

'I have been able to get some contacts from the speaker about sports in the RAF'
'I did not know what to expect today, and it's been so much better than I thought...'
'Amber Hill was very inspiring - she was my age (17 years) and had achieved so much'
'it was particularly inspiring hearing from those working in the industry, not just athletes, who with effort and hard work have achieved careers in the industry, such as PR and media'
'What a bonus - seeing Tom Daley as well!'